Friday, December 28, 2007

HAPPIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD


WHERE IS HAPPINESS

WHERE ARE WE LOOKING FOR HAPPINESS?

Who is the happiest person in the world? That is very difficult to say. At one moment I can be very happy but a few moments later I can be very unhappy. Happiness can come from getting what I expect or getting more than what I expect. Here one thing is certain. The happiness depends on what I expect and not on what I get.

Can I judge the happiness of others? I know what they got and I can calculate their happiness according to what happiness I could have got had I got what others got. I view the world with my mind or outlook. I cannot get into others mind to find out how they feel.

Any material or physical happiness or say pleasure depends on the felt need. The food gives me happiness according to the level of my hunger. The old law of diminishing utility applies in all pleasures. So nobody can get happiness or pleasure through the bodily feelings beyond a certain level. That level is fixed for everybody. Happiness does not depend on my economic, social or physical conditions. The pleasure is directly proposional to the felt need. That brings me to the point that everybody has the same level of happiness.

This means everybody is given a certain level of happiness which comes from the degree of need or sorrow, more the need more the happiness when I get it. More the hunger, more the satisfaction I get from the food. More sorrow, more happiness, less sorrow, less happiness. That means the pluses and minuses in life get neutralized and the ultimate is always zero. Then what should I do in life to get happiness more than the sorrows of my life?

No comments: